Bacalao served with croutons paired with 2019 Rosato
Ingredients: serves 2
3/4 lb. salt cod fish
1/4 yellow onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, chopped
1 leek, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 c. sherry wine
1 russet potato, peeled and cut
7 dried nora peppers (reconstituted) or 1 red bellpepper
1/2 C. heavy cream
1/4 C. unsalted butter
3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Soak the cod overnight in cold water, changing the water a couple of times.
- preheat oven to 375′
- Remove the fish from the water and clean away any bone or skin
- In a separate pot, place the potato and cover with cold water, simmer until the potato gets soft and drain placing through a potato ricer or mash it lightly.
- In a medium sized tagine, put the cleaned fish, chopped onion, garlic, leek, bay leaf, peppers, olive oil and sherry wine. Cover and bake for 45 minutes
- Heat the cream together with the butter in a separate pot until the butter is melted.
- Combine the fish mixture with the potato, cream and butter mixture, add more olive oil and mix well using a rubber spatula or spoon. Place in an iron skillet and broil for additional 5 minutes or until top gets golden.
- Serve with Croutons.
Fabiano Ramaci, Winemaker and Private Chef